Sunday, February 16, 2014

Inquiry-Based Learning





I chose a picture of one of my student’s head/mind for my inquiry learning visual.  Inquiry learning means a deep understanding with a hands-on as well as minds-on towards teaching and learning.  Inquiry emphasizes the process of learning in order to develop deep understanding by students.  


The Keren-Kolb article this week discussed how technology “should engage, enhance, or extend learning in ways that traditional tools do not.”  I almost hate to admit this, but I was glad to see the confusion between the teachers on whether their lessons were engaging, enhancing and extended learning when integrating technology.  I think we have some problems with this understanding in our own system.  We think we are doing a good job at integrating technology into our lessons that engage, enhance and extend learning with our students, but with a recent review from outside observers, we learned that we weren’t doing as great a job as we thought.  The 3 scenarios provided a better understanding to me as to how to accomplish engaging, enhancing and extending learning when integrating technology into my lessons. 
 
As I think-aloud about my mini-lesson, I reviewed the 8 principles of inquiry-based learning.  I have found that:
Authentic learning is real life learning.  Integrating technology into our lessons encourages students to create a tangible, useful product to be shared.   When we engage our students through authentic, hands-on learning by integrating technology, then Deep Understanding and Performance of Understanding of the subject can occur.  Also, “research has repeatedly shown that Assessment practices used by teachers have a significant impact on student achievement and engagement and that substantial learning gains can result from providing students with frequent feedback about their learning.”   The Appropriate use of Technology can help immerse students in engaging and knowledge building environments to represent their learning.  Teachers cannot be expected to know everything about everything, so Connecting with Experts “play a key role in helping teachers design inquiry around the right questions, topics, issues and problems.”   Success for all Students can come from teachers setting clear explanation of expectations from the lesson.  Students need to make sure that they are applying Ethical Citizenship while online use of images, text, information, sounds and video. 

I want to make sure that I consider these principles while planning for my mini-lesson.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the article about engaging, enhancing, and extending with the use of technology. I felt like I was using technology to enhance and extend my students' learning everyday! However, now that I read that article, I know that most of my activities with technology are only engaging my students. I do appreciate the examples of each scenario, because it gave me a better idea of how I can take what I am doing and improve it in order to enhance and extend!

    I also agree that we need to keep in mind ALL of the principles of inquiry! Using the rubric to see where we need to be will certainly improve all of our mini-lessons for the assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your visual. I think the word flexibility plays an important role in learning. I think the process of coming up with an answer is sometime more important that the answer itself. Teaching students to memorize material and regurgitate the information on a test is not teaching them to use their tools, resources, and their mind. I think teaching students appropriate use for technology is extremely valuable. Students are learning in an entirely different world than the generation before. Social media has created a wonderful information connection between people, however the information can be opinions versus facts. I watched Night at the Museum with my daughter the other night. She did not know who Napoleon was (she is 9). I explained his role in history. She asked me if he was a good guy or a bad guy. I told her that different people and countries have different answers for that question. I was able to use her question to start the conversation on fact, opinions, and perception. Not all answers are black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, the Tagxedo or graphic word visual is fabulous. I like how the word, "learning" seems to land right in the middle of the mind.
    I find that you are extremely thorough with how you will approach the mini-lessons. Attempting to dissect the Eight Principles, define them and apply them to your lesson content and instruction is an excellent strategy. I have no doubt that your mini-lessons will be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete